[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search being integrated in WildFly

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Jan 13 18:06:35 EST 2014

Hello,
as you might already know by following the WildFly developer's mailing
list, most of the Hibernate Search jars and dependencies (Lucene) are
now included in the application server as modules.

This was not primarily driven by practical need of Hibernate users but
rather because of clustering needs of the application server, and also
CapeDwarf and other projects make extensive use of it.

Just a couple of small adjustments are needed to make it possible for
Hibernate users to also take advantage of it, so I'd think we should
make these adjustments to make it more useful?

This is what I'm thinking:
 - The hibernate-search-orm jar is missing (an essential jar for our purposes)
   -> add a module
 - No additional analyzers are included
   -> see how optional modules work, so that - while we won't ship all
those dependencies - it's still easy to add when you need one
 - Jipijapa should help?
   -> should we make Hibernate Search available to deployments
whenever Hibernate ORM is made available?
 - Get it to a reasonable version: it's including 4.5.0.Alpha2 now
   -> we need to release a Beta soon, any volunteer? I'm stuck on an
island with extremely slow connectivity.
 - Contribute some integration tests to WildFly: there aren't any
today verifying the included modules

What shall we do about our modules distribution? I think it would be
nice to continue maintaining that, so that we can make frequent
releases and that would allow users to use a different version than
what they would get in WildFly - if they want to.

-- Sanne