[hibernate-dev] Standalone service registry

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 16 10:41:05 EST 2014

On 16 Jan 2014, at 13:42, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

>> Part of the discussion that I had with Steve this morning, and the piece that he particularly wanted to discuss here, is how to perform the extraction and where to put it:
>>
>> * Is this standalone service registry its own project, separate from the hibernate-orm project. Would that make it easier to use in other projects? Or is it a hibernate-ssr module within the hibernate-orm project.
>>
>> * Is it called hibernate-ssr or perhaps hibernate-serviceregistry? Perhaps the later is more appropriate especially if it’s a separate project.
>
> I agree with Hardy (from IRC) that hibernate-serviceregistry is better
> than hibernate-ssr.  For me the question really comes down to choosing
> between:

+1 for hibernate-serviceregistry. For me ssr is just too cryptic and and we usually use full names in modules/projects.

> a) https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/hibernate-serviceregistry
> b) https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-serviceregistry

I could live with both. As Steve is saying, there are pro and cons for both. Personally, I have a slight preference for #b.

>From a consumer point of view, I am not so sure which other Hibernate project would benefit from this atm.
Validator has no use of it. Search maybe, but I see that a fair bit in the future. The concepts and ideas we took from ORM into
the new Search ServiceManager fulfil the requirements in Search. I don’t think there is an immediate need there for a service registry
artifact. Not sure about OGM!?

—Hardy