[hibernate-dev] irc team meetings and jbott

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 06:09:56 EST 2014

On 21 Jan 2014, at 16:11, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> The issue with slowness of ending the meeting was annoying yes.
> Thanks for finding that.
>
> The other issue is that jbott is sometimes just not there.  It drops
> off quite a bit.  To give you a flavor, here is its drops from just
> yesterday:
>
> 01:44 *** jbott <jbott!supybot at nat/redhat/x-kcdixxnxtyoqqrjn> has quit
> IRC (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
> 14:03 *** jbott <jbott!supybot at nat/redhat/x-bftkgoghfxdwibyf> has quit
> IRC (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
> 22:19 *** jbott <jbott!supybot at nat/redhat/x-wxdxevjybbitcevv> has quit
> IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
> 23:23 *** jbott <jbott!supybot at nat/redhat/x-cafuloaglxdbvmqg> has quit
> IRC (Ping timeout: 265 seconds)

So yeah, these drops was caused by jbott taking ages to sync - while it
was syncing free node was pinging if it was alive and apparently subybot
is single threaded so it lost the connection while it was spending 3-10
minutes on syncing.

I've fixed that now by having rsync ignore 2011,2012 and 2013 folders.

Thus assuming I'm right and done the fixes properly these dropouts
should not happen anymore and the sync/response for end meeting and
start meeting should be much faster and more consistent. Let me know if
you observe it differently.

> There has been at least one occasion when we had a meeting and jbott
> was simply not in the room the entire time.

Yeah, if that happens something is most likely wrong with its network
connection - but I can see the bot have been running for ~5 months
straight now and last time I restarted it was because of network change
in neuchatel.

Thus if you see it missing let me know - something must have occurred
that the startup script is not considering but for now I haven't seen
that.

I've sent mail to core about the changes to let others know.

/max