[hibernate-dev] Object/Relational mapping XML processing moving forward

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Jan 27 10:26:37 EST 2014

Reference :
https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-8893
https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-8894

I wanted to start a discussion around some planned changes relating to
processing XML mapping files.  The 2 issues above cover the bulk of the
intent:
1) move to a single format for expressing object/relational mapping in
XML, based on the JPA ORM XSD
2) combine that with transformations for numerous known formats to a
definitive format for processing.

The basic idea here is to have just one XML format that we actually
process as input (StAX+JAXB).  It would be a derivative of the latest
JPA ORM XSD ("extended" for Hibernate-specifics).  We would still accept
numerous other forms (hbm.dtd, "straight" orm.xsd versions 1.0, 2.0,
2.1) and transform them to the "extended" schema.  This transformation
would be available on-the-fly as well as via a build-time task.

This opens up the question of exactly how we want to mix the
Hibernate-specifics in with the JPA entity-mappings schema types. For
example we might want to take this opportunity to "clean up" the things
we expose via XML, or unify them.  For now, I'd like to just make this
an open call for suggestions of things people would like to see changed
in XML mappings.