[hibernate-dev] API/SPI in 5.0

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Jan 31 15:14:55 EST 2014

As we transition to 5.0 we have to make a lot of decisions wrt API/SPI
methods that are no longer relevant.  I think it is better to look at
these individually.

== Configuration

I went ahead and made a preliminary decision here as I discussed in
HHH-7164.  The thinking is that we had some leeway here because
Configuration had been deprecated (and pretty widely known to be
deprecated based on StackOverflow and other sources).   Basically I made
Configuration a simple delegate to the new Metadata building code.  I
removed all the methods that exposed access to the org.hibernate.mapping
objects that Configuration used to manage.

---

== Integrator

This one is a little tougher.  In retrospect I think I would have just
gone for a number of discrete contributor contracts.  For example,
usually Integrator is used to add event listeners, so an
EventListenerContributor would have worked.  Then I would have used
Integrator as a grouping of contributors.

== PersisterFactory (and persister constructors)

Forms taking Configuration and org.hibernate.mapping objects should,
imo, get removed.  But I can live with deprecation if someone wants to
"pound the table" for that.  But realize that the
Configuration+org.hibernate.mapping forms would not be called ever.