[hibernate-dev] HHH-8310 : WrappedBlob/WrappedClob classloading problem

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 17:19:50 EDT 2014

On 07/08/2014 05:04 PM, Scott Marlow wrote:
> This sounds similar to https://community.jboss.org/message/879546

I was hoping to hear more feedback from the above link but didn't.  I
suspect that its a classloader issue with ear sub-deployments having
Hibernate on their classpath but not the ear top level classloader.

> On 07/08/2014 03:53 PM, Gail Badner wrote:
>> HHH-8310 [1] mentions a Spring bug SPR-11125 [2] that results in threads having a different ContextClassLoader (CCL) than their caller. As a result, SerializableBlobProxy.generateProxy() throws IllegalArgumentException because WrappedBlob is not found. The same happens for SerializableClobProxy.generateProxy() because WrappedClob is not found.
>>
>> IIUC, this will be fixed by accessing the ClassLoaderService in Hibernate 5.
>>
>> I'm looking for either a fix or workaround for this in Hibernate 4.2.x and 4.3.x.
>>
>> A) A possible fix for HHH-8310 suggests using the ClassLoader returned by WrappedBlob.class.getClassLoader(). Could this somehow get an unintended ClassLoader?

Good question but this change might impact HHH-8010.  Might be good to
check with Brett on why OSGi needs to use an alternative classloader
(which is set in ClassLoaderHelper).

>> B) A workaround is for the caller to initialize ClassLoaderHelper.overridenClassLoader before calling Spring.

I don't think this will work in a multiple deployment environment (e.g.
WildFly) unless ClassLoaderHelper defaulted to the ORM classloader
instead of an application level classloader.