[hibernate-dev] Explaining versioning and dependency compatibility

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Tue Jul 15 17:26:20 EDT 2014

On 15 Jul 2014, at 12:27, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:

> For Validator, I don't understand why you all say there is no
> dependency: it might be a wide range, but there is integration code in
> ORM which has not always be there, and not always the same. I don't
> expect Validator 3.x to work with latest ORM, and you should state
> that somewhere.

The shared dependencies might be problematic but I think ORM uses Bean Validation’s APIs only so we are very well isolated from Hibernate Validator per se.

> Indeed for Search one might want to simply add some very basic
> full-text search capability on an existing complex ORM application and
> not wish to change ORM, or in a different case one wants to play with
> the latest power features in the latest Search version. Depending on
> the case one searches for compatibility for a specific version of ORM
> or for a particular version of Search. I think it would be nice if
> both project had some kind of informational box close to the version
> details to list which "recommended" compatible version we suggest.

Remember we had that in the first wiki and that was a nightmare. I know I was the one maintaining it :)

> Even for OGM if we do BOM files, I would still like to see such an
> information box on the website as not everyone is versed with Maven.

For OGM indeed it seems to be useful not only to list the other Hibernate project versions but also to show which version of which driver we test against.
Now that would break if we plan to support multiple versions of a driver or more likely embedded datastores like Noe4J and Infinispan that might break their APIs.
While we can create different modules, the BOM would be at a loss to express that.

Emmanuel