[hibernate-dev] Removal of Hibernate Commons Annotations from Hibernate Search -> middle-ground solution?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Jun 23 15:53:59 EDT 2014

This has been proposed several times, it's time to try converging on a
stable API for Hibernate Search 5, and I have the idea that actual
plans to remove the dependency are not mature.

I would then propose to re-purpose HSEARCH-1213 to not fully remove
hibernate-commons-annotations but to use it as an implementation
detail only: make sure we hide it from user API, so to allow us to
remove it later when possibly Hibernate ORM will be aligned on these
plans too.

Any suggestion on how we could verify this is done correctly?
I thought of using checkstyle to consider it a violation to import
HANN classes in the tests, but that's probably not solid enough - and
some tests might need exceptions to the rule.