[hibernate-dev] Participation in GSoC 2014

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Mon Mar 10 04:17:29 EDT 2014

Hi Dmitri,

Many thanks for your interest in the project and the nice introduction.
Hardy and I had short first discussion about HV and Java 8 at the
corresponding JIRA issue [1]. If you like join the discussion there, any
input is highly welcome.

One of the big challenges is how to address this issue while keeping
compatibility with older Java runtimes (we won't be able to expect Java 8
on every client for quite a long time). An obvious solution is a separate
branch of the entire code base, but this wouldn't be so nice from a
maintainability perspective. Maybe we could make those parts affected by
the change "pluggable" and plug in different implementations depending on
the Java version?

A related topic is the integration of Bean Validation with JavaFX (the
current idea only mentions this shortly). On can use BV in JavaFX already
today, but there may be ways for making it more easily usable. Other things
are not working yet at all (e.g. applying class-level constraints before
the input data has been propagated from the "form" to the data model).

Not sure whether this all should be part of one proposal or better two. I'm
providing it here as food for thought :)

--Gunnar

[1] https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HV-825