[hibernate-dev] [Search] Regression with @ContainedIn between 4.3 and 4.4

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Mar 28 06:44:06 EDT 2014

On 28 Jan 2014, at 10:52, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com> wrote:

> This one is really a blocker for us as we have to put something into
> production really soon with 4.4.2 and we can't do it atm. I take the
> liberty to open a JIRA issue so that I can start working on a PR with
> a test showing what we do and a fix.

Sure

> While it looks like it was not an intented feature at the time, it's a
> very useful one so it would be nice to make it work again.

As said, I don’t think it was and I think I understand your use case by now.
There are two things I am wondering about atm:

- will this change effect the indexing optimisation code we have in place which
  tries to skip indexing in cases were the changed entity properties don’t effect
  the index
- how do we clarify the behaviour of ContainedIn in the docs (it is not just the
  counterpart of @IndexedEmbedded, but a standalone annotation/feature)

> I don't
> think it has any drawbacks to come back to the preexisting behaviour.

Only thing which comes to mind is this indexing optimisation part, but it might not
even be effected.

> I understand there probably won't be a release of 4.4.x soon (if any)
> to fix this but, once we agree on the fix, I can deploy something on
> our internal repo.

Ok.

—Hardy