[hibernate-dev] Tests asserting warnings get logged

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Mar 28 08:27:30 EDT 2014

On 28 Jan 2014, at 12:47, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Given the problems using byteman is causing in CI

What problem is that?

> and the fact that our
> reliance on it is pretty light at the moment, I wanted to reach out for
> some other ideas/proposals for ways to handle this testing requirement.

The problem could be solved by a dynamic proxy. The proxy could
be the middle man between the test (adding some test helpers and assertions) and the actual Log implementation.
Writing such a proxy should be straight forward, the problem is that afaik there is not way
in JBoss Logging to change the Log Implementation. Logger.getMessageLogger just uses the name of the specified Log type
and appends ‘$logger’ and tries to load from the classpath.

> I will also reach out to David and James to see if this is something JBoss
> Logging itself could help us tackle; maybe there is some feature there
> already that would help.  Any other ideas/proposals?

If they would add a way to specify a custom Log impl (e.g. via a system property) things would become much easier.

—Hardy