[hibernate-dev] [OGM and others] API, SPI and FPI

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu May 22 12:03:34 EDT 2014

Looks like we're all aligned?
Steve made some concrete examples, Emmanuel pointed out how we have
been defining this vs. apparently other people.

I don't feel the need to change our interpretation, if that's what is
being discussed.

It's good to remember that there are different kinds of SPIs; we
indeed came to the conclusion that it's often much nicer to have an
abstract class when the SPI is meant to be provided by 3rd party code
but I think we need an interface in that case as well (in addition to
the abstract class).

Also breaking an SPI could bring as much pain as an API change.. when
an API changs the user is often in the position to be able to do
something about it. More often people get in trouble because they are
using a mixture of versions of different frameworks and libraries
which are meant to work together, and they don't.. in such scenarios
the user might not be able to do something about it, other than
lobbying and begging for fixes and releases in projects out of his
control.
An API change just invalidates project for people who are not able to
recompile, and makes books and training outdated :) Sure that's
annoying too, my point is just that SPI is not less important
*generally* but it depends on what API and what SPI we're talking
about.

But even when we discuss the same "kind" of SPIs, some are more
critical than others, and some are "internal" SPIs (like
hibernate-search to hibernate-search module), some are very close
(hibernate-orm to hibernate-search) some are slightly further down
(infinispan - hibernate-search).. others need critical stability
(container integration, etc..). And of course it's less painfull when
it affects something that 99% of users didn't know it existed in the
first place.

Conclusion, the package name will never set a rule: to me it's more
like a reminder to be carefull in any way possible as "someone" is
going to hate me. I am personally not even a fan of these specific
package naming conventions, an annotation would be just as good,
provided it gets somehow visibility in the javadoc (or even hides
javadocs for internals).

Sanne