[hibernate-dev] Hibernate ORM master - 5.0

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Oct 30 11:44:23 EDT 2014

It was decided that the massive work for 5.0 including metamodel and all
the other changes was just taking too long, and that we'd split that work
up into a number of intermediate versions.  I wanted to highlight the
proposed breakdown and solidify the roadmaps.  The preliminary breakdown is
as follows:

   - 5.0
      - Java 6 or 7 (?)
      - EE 7 (JPA 2.1)
      - Wildfly 9
      - Timeline : Spring 2015
      - Required development
         - Transition to new bootstrapping APIs
         - MetadataSources, contributors, builders, etc for building
            SessionFactory
            - Keep Configuration as a migration aid, but align its
            processing and assumptions to follow new APIs
            - New naming strategy approach (implicit and physical split)
         - Pick "important" features from  metamodel work based on new
         bootstrapping API
            - automatic quoting of identifiers that are keywords
            - ???
         - Performance improvements
         - Cachng SPI changes based on feedback from Ehcahce and Infinispan
            - EntityKey proposal
            - Explore unifying entry keys for actual cache provider, cache
            SPI (CacheKey) and persistence-context (EntityKey)
            - Infinispan improvements, especially in local mode.  Will
            require integrating a new Infinispan version and possible
changes to
            hibernate-infinispan
            - ???
         - OGM integration
            - "after persisters built" hook
               - others?
            - Java 8 type support
            - Date/Time
            - Optional
         - Java 9 type support
            - Money/Currency
         - Optional development (as time, resources allow)
         - Discriminator based multitenancy
         - JAXB instead of dom4j.
         - extended orm.xml xsd, deprecating hbm.xml format
         - Jandex usage
         - JdbcSession
         - Hibernate Spatial integration (depends on level of dependence on
         metamodel)
      - 5.1
      - Java 6 or 7 (?)
      - EE 7 (JPA 2.1)
      - Widfly 9, or 10
      - Timeline : TBD (Fall 2016?)
      - Required development
         - slips from 5.0
         - new HQL parser
            - Antlr 3 or 4?
            - unified SQL generation? or limit to HQL parsing?
         - Optional development (as time, resources allow)
         - extend JPA criteria API with support for constructs from
         Hibernate's legacy criteria API
         - extend JPA criteria API with fluent support
      - Possibly - Override EAGER fetching with LAZY (fetch profiles, HQL,
      etc)
   - 5.2
      - (if needed)
      - Java 6 or 7 (?)
      - EE 7 (JPA 2.1)
      - Widfly 9, or 10
      - Required development
         - splits from 5.1
      - 6.0
      - SE and EE support levels TBD, but at least SE 8
      - Required development
         - metamodel

One additional consideration... I have been told (have not verified the
details yet myself) that Hibernate ORM will currently not run in Java 8 at
least in part because dom4j will not work in Java 8 (maybe just the version
we use?  again, have not verified details yet).  If running 5.x versions of
Hibernate in Java 8 is important to anyone, we might need to increase the
priority of moving to JAXB over dom4j.