[hibernate-dev] Hibernate OGM connecting to JDG's version of Infinispan

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Fri Sep 19 05:43:23 EDT 2014

Hi,

> Hi all,
>
> I didn't try this but I'm wondering if I could use Hibernate OGM with
> its Infinispan backend to deploy on JBoss EAP6 and use the Infinispan
> build from JDG 6.
>
> Could you make sure this is possible?

That's an interesting question, I've filed
https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/OGM-604 for tracking this
requirement.

> I'm expecting some trouble by the fact that depending on Hibernate
> *ORM* implicitly or explicitly this will bring along the classpath
> visibility of the EAP version of Infinispan (which is not the one we'd
> want to use).
>
> For example simply by deploying a JPA based application, we'd get this
> version of Infinispan as it's exposed to the application so that it
> could be used as a 2nd level cache implementation.

I just had a quick look at the OGM module descriptors we create for EAP and
WildFly. To my surprise, we bundle Infinispan ourselves for EAP (it's part
of the OGM core module), whereas we depend on the provided module in
WildFly.

Extracting a separate hibernate-ogm-module (as we have it for all other
dialects) would be the first step IMO to improve the situation. We then
could create yet another module which depends on the modules provided by
the JDG distribution you mention below (the dialect would be the same as
for ISPN, only the module dependencies would differ). Users would enable
one or the other dialect module for the application.

About the conflict with the ISPN version exposed by ORM you mention, is
this always the case  or only when enabling 2nd-level caching? I would hope
for the latter.

To clarify: the JDG distribution is packaged as a set of JBoss Modules
> so you can "layer" them on top of EAP without replacing the Infinispan
> & co jars included  by the applications server for internal purposes
> like session clustering and Hibernate caching.

Can one get that distribution e.g. as Maven dependency?

> OGM is for me just one possible case, ultimately we need to make sure
> that people using Hibernate can use alternative versions of Infinispan
> as well, and not be locked into a specific version by the simple fact
> of using JPA: I'm having the same nasty problem with Search: unable to
> use JDG for index storage.
>
> Sanne

--Gunnar