[hibernate-dev] HSEARCH Java 8 Date Time

Davide D'Alto davide at hibernate.org
Tue Aug 4 13:49:37 EDT 2015

Hi,
I started to work on the creation of the bridges for the classes in the
java.time package.

I was wondering if we want to convert the values to long using the existing
approach we have now for java.util.Date.

In Hibernate Search a java.util.Date is converted into a long that
represents the number of milliseconds since January 1, 1970, 00:00:00 GMT
using getTime().

The same value can be obtain from a java.time.LocaDate via:

        long epochMilli = date.atStartOfDay( ZoneOffset.UTC
).toInstant().toEpochMilli();

LocalDate has a method that returns the same value expressed in number of
days:

        long epochDay = date.toEpochDay();

I would use the second approach

Davide