[hibernate-dev] Hosting of binaries

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Aug 13 11:03:29 EDT 2015

On 13 August 2015 at 15:50, Brett Meyer <brmeyer at redhat.com> wrote:
> Sorry, late to this...
>
> My vote would be to get rid of SourceForge entirely.  I can't stand their ethics, services, or downtime...
>
> We use download.jboss.org for Artificer and haven't had any issues.  Fully supports SCP or SFTP -- I already have it scripted and would be more than happy to help put it together for Hibernate.  Plus, jboss.org/redhat.org now include Splunk for parsing the server logs -- getting download metrics is fairly straight-forward.

That sounds quite nice!

But Hibernate has been at Sourceforce for a very long time though
(ever?) and if we were to move platform / location each time something
unpleasant happens that wouldn't be good for users; take the Google
Code initiative for example.. not long ago it looked like everyone was
going to move there, but it's dead already.

But you're right: Sourceforge has crossed several lines - including
the ethical one - so I'd not be against moving away, but if we all
agree on moving I'd like to see how we can put some form of
"redirect", or just maintain a long term notice, or simply keep
uploading to both places for longer.

If we move, I'd pick a new place which is going to be for sure stable
in the long term; my preference would be to something under the DNS
control of hibernate.org .. that might be download.jboss.org under the
hoods, but I'd prefer to expose it in a way which is under control by
the Hibernate group for the very long term. I'll ask the jboss.org
team if that's an option.

Sanne