[hibernate-dev] Documentation project - asciidoctor + CSS

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Wed Dec 2 11:20:25 EST 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 01:28:59PM +0200, Vlad Mihalcea wrote:

> I started migrating the 5.0 docbook documentation to asciidoctor, and,
> because there wasn't any converter for such a task, I wrote a small shell
> script which uses pandoc.

There is a converter - https://github.com/bleathem/docbook2asciidoc
That's the converter we used for the initial conversion of the Hibernate Search
and Validator docbook sources to asciidoc.

It works quite well. The output is directly usable. The actual generated asciidoc
can need some cleanup which we did in a once off effort.

AFAIR, there were a couple of caveats which we only discovered after the migration
and after some manual changes. One of them was that we used in Search and Validator
a custom docbook class to mark classes (maybe also method, not sure). The XLST in these
scripts does not take care of this, even though it could with some minor tweaking.
The result was that class names which used the 'classname' marker did not get special
treatment in asciidoc. We ended up adding it manually.

--Hardy