[hibernate-dev] Forum changes proposal

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Wed Dec 9 08:42:42 EST 2015

Hi,

> I also think we should keep the forum it's a way to reach the actual dev
> team. On SO, you get answers for the community.

I am confused. Is the whole forum not about community as well? I would assume that
there are many questions which are discussed and solved by the community itself w/o
any interaction of the dev team.

Also, there is no reason why the Hibernate team should not be reachable on Stackoverflow.
In fact, I am ourdays exclusively on Stackoverflow, because it imo ways superior to
our (technologly) outdated forum.

Also, Stackoverflow actually introduced now a new "feature" called "Teams" -
http://stackoverflow.com/teams. Seems to be a good time to discuss whether we want to
create a Hibernate team or maybe even project specific teams or whether we have no
interest at all in this.

The only problem I see with Stackoverflow is that some discussions which are occurring
on the Forum are not suited for Stackoverflow. In these cases the discussion should be
moved to mailing list, JIRA or IRC (depending on the circumstances).

> So both the forum and SO are important and we should blend them, rather
> than pick one over the other.

I don't think I would sign this statement in this form ;-)

--Hardy