[hibernate-dev] Forum changes proposal

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Dec 10 07:28:06 EST 2015

On 10 December 2015 at 12:12, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 09:58:01PM +0000, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>> This seems a nice precedent:
>>  - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-collections-users/m8FnCcmtC88
>
> Right, this is pretty much what I had in mind as well. Whether one would create
> a dedicated mailing list like hibernate-discussions can be discussed, but otherwise
> I would sign under the approach taken for google-collections-users. As mentioned
> in the post, the best place with the biggest community for questions of the "How do I"
> type is Stackoverflow.
>
> So basically I would suggest:
>
> - Put the forum into a read only mode
> - Add a banner explaining the move to Stackoverflow (similar in content to what's in the post
>   mentioned above)
> - Create a Hibernate Team on Stackoverflow
> - Make sure all Hibernate related tags and wiki pages are up to date
> - Add a "Where-to-post summary" to hibernate.org
> - Create a hibernate-discussions mailing list!?
>
> I think we would gain a lot of by this approach.

Looks like a solid plan so I captured in
https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/WEBSITE-416
(even though clearly we need some kind of agreement from more people
on such a significant change)

It saddens me to see the forum go though.
Shouldn't the forum be the place for such discusssions, rather than a
new mailing list?

Might be just an excuse to keep it alive, but also it would allow to
not put it fully in read-only mode and have a chance to suggest - for
certain kinds of questions - to move to SO.

Also, there are many kinds of questions on the forums which I don't
see fit in neither SO nor on a mailing list. Sometimes people are not
sure if there's a bug, but will want to show some piece of code and
see if somebody can help them with that.
That's typically not a good question to ask on SO, and when it comes
to "post your entities" a mailing list is really lacking in terms of
code formatting.