[hibernate-dev] Naming and "naming strategies"

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Feb 20 13:57:37 EST 2015

So at the moment I have the following ImplicitNamingStrategy impls:

1) ImplicitNamingStrategyStandardImpl - Which is compliant with the rules
set forth in the JPA standard
2) ImplicitNamingStrategyLegacyJpaImpl - Which implements the initial
support done for JPA 1, before JPA 2 clarified some things.
3) ImplicitNamingStrategyLegacyHbmImpl - Support dating back to the dawn of
time...
4) ImplicitNamingStrategyComponentSafeImpl - Mainly a port
of DefaultComponentSafeNamingStrategy, although leveraging the
AttributePath stuff I discussed earlier

Couple of thoughts...

First, we might want to rename ImplicitNamingStrategyLegacyJpaImpl to
ImplicitNamingStrategyStandardImpl, and ImplicitNamingStrategyStandardImpl
to ImplicitNamingStrategyJpaCompliantImpl.  WDYT?

Second, I do not really like the phrase "component safe".  "Safe" from
what?  The difference is that the whole component path is used in
determining the name; so how about ImplicitNamingStrategyComponentPathImpl?

I do not plan on porting any of the other NamingStrategy impls.

Also, here is the complete list of implicit naming hooks:
1) primary table
2) join table
3) collection table
4) discriminator column