[hibernate-dev] Branching strategy in OGM

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Feb 26 13:44:22 EST 2015

> On 26 February 2015 at 18:11, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:

> don't

> you
> branch

> >> That's not going to work. I just had a minor PR based on 4.2, but it
> >> seems you rewrote 4.2 in the meantime, I had to nuke my branch and
> >> rebuild it from ashes ;)
> >

> > Ok, if you consider rebase --onto as rebuilding from ashes ;)
>
> It doesn't matter what exactly you do, what matters is that my clone
> is inconsistent and I have no clue of what could have happened.
>

> > Note that this branch basically was meant for Davide and me. Aren't you
> > supposed to work on 4.1.2 anyways ;) ? I would say let's do the 4.1.2
> > release tomorrow and if we then come to decide we need another 4.1.x
> > release, let's do what you suggest if it really is such a big problem.
>
> Thanks :)
> But I didn't say it's a big problem. It's unexpected though, and I
> think we had agreed that nobody would ever use push --force on the
> reference repository, especially not as a standard development
> procedure.

Sorry, I had discussed it with Davide whom I expected the only one to be
besides me to work on 4.2 at this point. Probably should have send a quick
mail to all.

What you say makes totally sense for master, I don't think the strict rule
needs to be applied for a short living working branch. I still think it's
good as it makes handling on 4.1.x easier for you guys (and those merging
all the PRs), but as said we can change it after 4.1.2 if you prefer.