[hibernate-dev] Slot name for modules of Hibernate OGM

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Fri Jan 9 04:56:01 EST 2015

> I just noticed that the main module for Hibernate OGM has slot="ogm",
> while the various dialect extension modules use the "main" slot.

I think this stems from the fact that we just use "org.hibernate" as module
name which conflicts with the ORM module. I'd like to use
"org.hibernate.ogm" instead, because OGM is no special version of ORM (as
indicated by the current name/slot) but a separate project.

Any change to this needs to be synched with Scott / JipiJapa because IIRC
there is some code relying on this very name / slot.

My understanding is that "main" should be reserved for the version
> included in a specific application server version, so we'd better
> avoid it to make it possible to eventually include OGM in WildFly and
> still be able to differentiate versions.

Yes, should OGM ever be part of WF, it'd be nice to be able to control
whether bringing in a new OGM version just is added (and referable via its
specific slot value) or whether its supposed to update whatever "main" is
at this point. I can see both being useful.

The "ogm" slot also doesn't make it possible to use multiple versions,
> which is ok now that there's a single release but won't be
> sustainable.
>
> Could we use the same label for all modules in a specific release, and
> encode version in it too?
> I propose using "ogm-{Major.Minor.Micro}".
>
> Using the ".Micro" postfix might seem overzealous as micro versions
> are supposed to be drop-in compatible but I'd rather be safe and be
> able to be explicit; we could in addition provide an alias like we do
> with Hibernate Search and Infinispan; this seems to be working quite
> well so far.
> Such an alias deploys a module which defines for say "ogm-4.1" should
> look for "ogm-4.1.1": then applications can generally refer to
> "ogm-4.1" and let the alias resolve it, or be more explicit if they
> like so.

The aliasing is a nice idea.