[hibernate-dev] Could UUID be one of the default strategy when AUTO is requested

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Mon Jan 19 11:15:42 EST 2015

We discussed a while ago whether it should be pluggable how AUTO is
resolved:
https://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/hibernate-dev/2014-November/011948.html

I still think that's a good idea.

In the case of OGM, it may even be a bit more complex. For example with
MongoDB the following should result in IDENTITY being used (which is mapped
to store-assigned object ids) rather than UUID:

    @Id
    @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.AUTO)
    @Type(type = "objectid")
    String id;

So the @Type would have to be taken into account as well for mapping AUTO.

> For String, I wonder if someone would argue that it should actually map
to a string-encoded output of a sequence.. "1", "2" ...

I don't think you can use sequences with String (only numeric values), so
anyone having this expectation would also be unhappy as of today.

--Gunnar