[hibernate-dev] [Hibernate Search] Donating some of our source code to Infinispan

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Jan 26 05:26:56 EST 2015

On 26 January 2015 at 09:52, Tristan Tarrant <tristan at infinispan.org> wrote:
> On 26/01/2015 10:45, Hardy Ferentschik wrote:
>>

>>   A) Should the Maven group id be changed? I'd expect it to be
>> transferred to "org.infinispan" group at least, and probably need a
>> better artifact id too.
>> +1 At least group id needs top change.
>
> Yes.
>>

>>>   B) License. Our code is LGPL, most of Infinispan is ASL - but not all
>>> of it. So I expect it would be possible to keep the existing license
>>> at least for now, and defer eventual license changes as a separate
>>> step (if people feel need for any change at all).
>>
>> Would it not be easier to change to ASL?
>
> All of the embeddable Infinispan code is ASL. The exception is for the
> server itself which is LGPL (being based on WildFly which is LGPL itself).
> So I'd rather not confuse the issues any more.
>
> Tristan

As long as we're clear that wherever you expose/include Search and
parser code it's LGPL ;-)
And JPACacheStore, and ..
So I don't think it's a very simple story to explain to users today,
one more module wouldn't be a significant change, especially since
it's not public API! And remember you're already using the same code
today, with the same strings attached. If any this should make it
easier to change license.

I'm fine to change this to ASL, but I'd prefer we could move forward
with it without needing to involve legal matters as a blocking
process.
As mentioned above, this would make it far easier to develop some
improvements which would highly benefit both projects in the short
time.