[hibernate-dev] WildFly BeanValidationCdiIntegrationTestCase test failure with ORM 5

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Wed Jul 8 09:02:31 EDT 2015

Hi,

> The same test works with the WildFly master branch, which is using ORM
> 4.3.x.  The Bean Validation integration code is unchanged in my WildFly
> branch, as is the Bean Validator.  The only thing different, is the ORM 5
> integration code and the ORM 5 persistence provider.

Just fishing here, but "integration code and the ORM 5 persistence provider" might
indicate a problem in the persistence bootstrapping.
Have a look at org.hibernate.cfg.beanvalidation.TypeSafeActivator#getValidatorFactory.
Basically ORM expects to retrieve the ValidatorFactory to use for the life cycle based
validation from the properties passed via the Persistence bootstrap. The property name
is javax.persistence.validation.factory. If there is no instance passed ORM will bootstrap
a default factory using  Validation.buildDefaultValidatorFactory(). The latter would
of course not be CDI enabled. This would explain why validation occurs, but not CDI injection.
I would for sure put a breakpoint in there as well (and some trace/debug log would be probably
nice to have as well to easily tell whether a factory is passed or a default one is generated.

--Hardy