[hibernate-dev] [OGM] GridDialect facets

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Fri Jul 24 05:01:43 EDT 2015

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 09:56:24AM +0200, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
>
> > I have been adding a facet to GridDialect and found it surprisingly hard:
>
> What is a facet in this context. I've seen you guys using this term on IRC
> as well,
> but I am not sure what you mean with it in relation to a GridDialect.

It's our way to model different (optional) capabilities of data stores.

The main contract is GridDialect which offers the basic functionality each
store needs to support (getTuple(), insertOrUpdateAssocation() and so on).
Then there are several sub-types of it (e.g. QueryableGridDialect,
OptimisticLockingAwareGridDialect etc.) which allow a dialect to expose
advanced (or more efficient) functionality. Depending on which capabilities
a store exposes that way, engine will make use of it.

>  which non datastore dialects was supposed to implement the facet
>
> non datastore dialect? Is it not one dialect per datastore?

Davide's answer says it :)

Just trying to understand what you guys are actually talking about ;-)