[hibernate-dev] ORM Documentation

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Jul 28 13:51:39 EDT 2015

So tentatively I have the following docs:

1) "User Manual" - mostly done
2) "Domain Model Mapping Guide" - work in progress, but progressing nicely.
3) "Integrations Guide" - atm this will be just the devguide with the
Service+Registry chapter; but I'd like to circle back and pick up other
topics later.

This leaves some open points of discussion.  From the proposal itself:

1) What do we cover in "batching"?
2) "additionalmodules"?  I am inclined to simply drop that one, so unless I
here differently that is what will happen.

Emmanuel replied (on irc maybe?  I forget where) that he thought topics
such as "Performance Monitoring" and "Best Practices" ought to be separate
documents.

He also suggested a chapter on bootstrapping.  I totally agree.  I
essentially copied the topical guides on bootstrapping as a chapter in the
User Guide.  But that brings up an interesting point as to the distinction
between topical guides and documentation.  When should something go where?
I almost like to look at the topical guides as a wiki.  I don't think
anyone is thrilled with the SBS "wiki" we have access to.  I look at this
as an asciidoctor-based alternative.  Of course between SBS, GitHub wiki,
topical guides... gets to be a lot of places to look.  Initially the idea
of the topical guides was to break down the massive documentation into more
easily digestible chunks.  But that never gained traction.  Should they
just go away?