[hibernate-dev] Query handling : Antlr 3 versus Antlr 4

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Jun 9 06:49:40 EDT 2015

On 9 June 2015 at 09:56, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Did you ever have a chance to apply the "decorated parse tree" approach to
> your Antlr4 PoC?
>
> What I like about the Antlr4 approach is the fact that you don't need a set
> of several quite similar grammars as you'd do with the tree transformation
> approach. Also using the current version of Antlr instead of 3 appears
> attractive to me wrt. to bugfixes and future development of the tool.
>
> Based on what I understand from your discussions on the Antlr mailing list,
> I'd assume the parse tree and the external state it references to look
> roughly like so (---> indicates a reference to state built up during
> sub-sequential walks, maybe in some external "table", maybe stored within
> the (typed) tree nodes themselves):
>
> [QUERY]
>   [SELECT]
>     [ATTRIBUTE_REF] ---> AttributeReference("<gen:1>", "code")
>       [DOT]
>         [DOT]
>           [DOT]
>             [IDENT, "c"]
>             [IDENT, "headquarters"]
>           [IDENT, "state"]
>         [IDENT, "code"]
>   [FROM]
>     [SPACE]
>       [SPACE_ROOT] ---> InnerJoin( InnerJoin ( PersisterRef( "c",
> "com.acme.Customer" ), TableRef ( "<gen:0>", "headquarters" ) ), TableRef (
> "<gen:1>", "state" ) ) )
>         [IDENT, "Customer"]
>         [IDENT, "c"]
>
> I.e. instead of transforming the tree itself, the state required for output
> generation would be added as "decorators" to nodes of the original parse
> tree itself. That's just the basic idea as I understand it, surely the
> specific types of the decorator elements (AttributeReference, InnerJoin etc.)
> may look different. During "query rendering" we'd have to inspect the
> decorator state of the parse tree nodes and interpret it accordingly.
>
> So I believe the issue of alias resolution and implicit join conversion
> could be handled without tree transformations (at least conceptually, I
> could not code an actual implementation out of my head right away). But
> maybe there are other cases where tree transformations are more strictly
> needed?

Do you mean that you would be ok to "navigate" all the [DOT] nodes to
get to the decorated attachments?
In that case while you might be fine to translate each fragment into a
different fragment, it's not straight forward to transform it into a
different structure, say with sub-trees in different orders or nodes
which don't have a 1:1 match.
It's of course doable if you are filling in your own builder while
navigating these (like we do with the Lucene DSL output), but it
doesn't help you with multiple phases which is what Steve is pointing
out.

I would highly prefer to feed the semantic representation of the tree
to our query generating backends, especially so if we could all share
the same initial smart phases to do some basic validations and
optimisations DRY. But then the consuming backends will likely have
some additional validations and optimisations which need to be
backend-specific (dialect-specific or technology specific in case of
OGM).

Steve, you mentioned that ANTLR4 handles transformations but only when
it's the last step. What prevents us to chain multiple such
transformations, applying the "last step" approach multiple times?
I didn't look at it at all, so take this just as an high level,
conceptual question. I guess one would need to clearly define all
intermediate data types rather than have ANTLR generate them like it
does with tokens, but that could be the lesser trouble?

Thanks,
Sanne