[hibernate-dev] Query handling : Antlr 3 versus Antlr 4

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Wed Jun 17 08:39:39 EDT 2015

Hi,

> resolving possible unqualified attribute references [...]
> The other option is to have such an API.  This would allow the parser to
ask the consumer whether the given identifier (`ssn`) is a persistent
attribute of any of the available entities.

Yes, having such extension point seems reasonable. OGM would probably use
the same implementation as ORM, but other users may plug in another impl
based on their own type of entity definitions. Would the scope of that
extension point be solely attribute resolution or also handling of other
things such as literals? I'd hope the latter could be done in a unified way
by the parser?

> So here it is a question of whether we want the parser to perform
capability based validations for us.  Again, I'd argue we do as otherwise
each consumer ends up having to do these validations themselves

+1

> We also need to decide how we want to handle polymorphic queries in this
parser.

I am not sure in terms of exact types to be returned, but it'd help if the
returned structure contained information about the actually affected
"tables" (or more generally, "structures" in the query backend), so that
users don't each have to deal with resolving that information wrt. the
current mapping strategy. That need some extension point for specifying the
sub-types of given types. Again, OGM would probably share an impl. with ORM.

--Gunnar