[hibernate-dev] Hibernate support for JSR-354?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Mar 18 09:47:13 EDT 2015

Hi Elliot,
I'm not the best person to answer your more technical questions, but
since those who are are currently on holidays I'd just like to answer
you already and confirm it's an interesting topic.

We had a similar discussion around Date/Time types in Java8: they also
aren't supported yet out of the box, but we'd really like to add
those, as JSR-354 when it will be included.
The main problem is to split support for these into JDK8, and JDK9
specific modules, and get the build scripts patched to deal with
different requirements of language levels. I hope we'll do that soon,
at that point it would be awesome to include your custom types,
assuming you want to contribute.

This project seems to have types for both Time and Money types:
 http://jadira.sourceforge.net/usertype-userguide.html

I have no experience with it, I just found it by following a link from
the Joda Time project, which is known to have created good extensions
in the past - although I think it was best known for Time types only.
Could be nice to join forces with Jadira or at least study their
proposal?

Thanks,
Sanne