[hibernate-dev] Date/Time Support and timezones

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Mar 26 12:47:20 EDT 2015

The real difficulty with (3) is querying.  How do you restrict a query on a
(TIMESTAMP,TZ) tuple for example when the individual values could be in
multiple timezones?  Andrea and I were just discussing the same in regards
to Java 9(?) Money/Currency support.

Personally I think this idea of trying to store and handle dates in
different timezones is silly, and more importantly that it is asking for
trouble.  IMO I think all dates and times should be treat as UTC, stored
and handled as such and only ever converted to a specific TZ when rendering
(UI, etc).

The other difficulty is how to know that the db type is "WITH TIMEZONE" or
not.  Because that effects how we need to pass things and retrieve them to
be consistent.  If you always handle temporals in UTC in the app and tell
the JDBC driver to use UTC for read/write (or set default JVM TZ to UTC)
then things JustWork.  I will say that JSR 310 is much better in terms of
being able to normalize temporals.  So maybe we should leverage that.