[hibernate-dev] [OGM] Demarcating units of work

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed May 6 05:13:38 EDT 2015

Did you consider that the existing definition of "Transaction
boundaries" can have different levels of isolation and guarantees,
depending on how the underlying components are configured?

I do agree with you that it's kind of weird that people write code
without making transactional requirements explicit in the code, but it
seems that the trend is to abstract from that and use the
"Transaction" term as a "Unit of work".

For example I find it strange that - in Java - one has to configure
the isolation levels of transactions to the safest (least efficient)
option possible among the types his *various* use cases require. It's
pretty obvious that it would be more efficient to choose those levels
as "profiles" based on use case, possibly bean or even method level.
I guess that's were complex applications split up in multiple deployments..

What is concerning is that the average developer will write Java code
making assumptions on the underlying transaction guarantees, and will
rarely communicate those as requirements to whoever configures it.
Is that what you aim to solve?