[hibernate-dev] Removing deprecated methods from Session and SessionFactory

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri May 8 12:47:03 EDT 2015

Of course we can delete them, I just meant to stress there should be a
different "appropriate moment" for:
 A] removal of deprecated methods for the sake of it (cleanup of old garbage)
 B] removal of a method during a major release (API changes allowed)
because we can't otherwise get some improvement

When a new major release comes - say Hibernate ORM 5.0 - we'll have
quite a bit of "B" changes, as they are unavoidable and desired.

If we also make all changes in category A, the steer amount of changes
might become a critical mass which scare off people from upgrading.

Speaking as a user who regularly codes as a client for such changes
(for example Lucene 4 was a rather dramatic "fix" with over 2,000
compilation problems in Hibernate Search), I can swear that it's very
nice if I can upgrade my application by fixing *some limited*
compilation failures, and then run my testsuite. Then rinse and
repeat... if I have to code 2 weeks straight w/o being able to run my
tests I'll despair.

So for ORM I'd not immediately delete all deprecated methods: let it
be easy for people to upgrade to 5 as that's an intimidating process;
let them realise that with a couple of changes they can do it. Once
they're over the scary part, you can remove the long deprecated
methods in some minor.
But if any of these methods is a hindrance to get improvements done, no mercy :)

Sanne