[hibernate-dev] Search - Plain text and SimpleQueryParser

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu May 14 17:05:20 EDT 2015

Hi Guillaume, welcome back!

I love the usability of this, I agree we should expose this
functionality. The "text()" method seems a good choice too.

On some other details:

 - ignoreAnalyzer() I agree with your comment, it doesn't seem to make
much sense. But what about not having the method rather than making it
throw an exception?
I'm assuming that should be possible by making some changes in the
interfaces, but I didn't try so I might be missing some complexity.

 - ignoreFieldBridge() This one is more controversial. I think
generally we should accept the types in their original form, so for
example accept a parameter which is not a String but a custom user
type, for which a field bridge or some two-way StringBridge could be
registered, and we apply the conversion automatically.
We do this on other APIs and we should be consistent across methods,
although there are some obscure ambiguities with that choice, for
example we do apply the FieldBridge from the field *name* and not from
the runtime type of the parameter, which introduces some complexities
when the query is targeting multiple fields with different indexing
options, especially if the input is expected to be in different types.

I don't think these implications were too clear when we first created
the DSL, so not ruling out a change of direction to be considered for
the next major version; you feedback as power user would be essential.
I still think that it's convenient for example to automatically encode
a Date type, but the type should then be matched differently to each
field.. how could we do that using this Lucene parser?

Another pain point which your tests are highlighting, is the lack of
an easy to use, short hand for the sorting API. Created HSEARCH-1872
as a discussion point.

Thanks,
Sanne