[hibernate-dev] Branching in HSEARCH

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Nov 5 09:23:36 EST 2015

> Hi,
> I realize it was a mistake to create it that soon, but it's too late
> now: we have contributions being developed from that branch.

Who, where? I don't see any branch off 5.5 on GH. As said the branches
are identical, so even if someone has developed off 5.5, it's trivial
to rebase.

> Keep in mind 5.5 will definitely need long term maintenance as it's
> the version picked for integration in WildFly 10 and all depending
> platforms, so it's not that there's any chance to avoid this branch as
> might sometimes have happened in the past.
> The good news: as long as they don't really diverge, applying a PR to
> both is absolutely trivial.

Only it creates useless work right now. Just see this discussion for instance ;)

> One thing I don't buy: why is it confusing?

Personally I find having to maintain two identical branches confusing.
In the sense "WTH are we doing this".

> This is exactly the same
> process we've followed since many years, since ever we moved to Git.
> Just normally we'll create it a bit later, as needed.. no big deal,
> other than normally you might have to reopen closed JIRAs to fix the
> versions. This might even sound better in that regard, and "as needed"
> doesn't apply as we'll need this for sure.

Sure, I understand it will be needed at *some point*, but it is not now.