[hibernate-dev] Bytecode interception and attribute name versus attribute index

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Nov 12 03:36:46 EST 2015

Is there any estimate what would be gained perf-wise by doing this optimization?

> First, this obviously is more fragile than relying on names; if the order
> changes but the bytecode is not re-enhanced, that could lead to very
> subtle, nasty problems.

Agreed, but to me it seems acceptable with such optimization having to
be explicitly enabled and the docs of that setting describing this
matter clearly.

> The other issue is that this requires us to be able to consistently be able
> to order the attributes.

Maybe the enhancer could enhance entities with a (static) method
returning the attribute order it works with, or maybe some separate
contract for making this order available. Then at runtime this order
could be fed to persisters et al. for enhanced entities.

Not sure whether it's doable or how complex it'd be, just throwing out the idea.

--Gunnar