[hibernate-dev] AttributeConverter and type "hints"

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Sat Oct 3 14:38:03 EDT 2015

So here is what I ended up doing concretely and anyone can chime in if this
sounds off..

1) In SimpleValueBinder I added a new field isLob to match isNationalized
2) In SimpleValueBinder#setType, when we see @Lob I:
2.a) set isLob to true
2.b) set SimpleValueBinder#defaultType, rather than
SimpleValueBinder#explicitType
3) In SimpleValueBinder#make, if SimpleValueBinder#isLob is true I pass
that along to SimpleValue

Now, when SimpleValue#setTypeUsingReflection is called we have the
information available to know that the db value should be a LOB just like
we already knew that it should be nationalized.

This change caused no regressions.