[hibernate-dev] SQM - alias registry

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Oct 7 11:37:32 EDT 2015

What makes the second query "badly written"?  That is the fundamental issue
here.  Its not badly written in terms of us being able to recognize that
how the spec says we should interpret it is not what the user intended.

So basically what I think we need is to design an alias registry that
follows the hierarchy (parent/child) of the query specs and that
distinguishes between FROM and SELECT aliases (what the spec calls
"identification_variable" and "result_variable", respectively.  Within a
scope (a specific alias instance) it would be illegal for the same
identification_variable
to be defined twice or for the same result_variable to be defined twice.
However, if the same identification_variable or result_variable exists just
i the parent scope, that is ok.