[hibernate-dev] jandex-binding work

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Oct 9 13:28:06 EDT 2015

Wanted to point out the jandex-binding version in Jira that is the work to
pull the annotation binding and Jandex usage from metamodel into upstream.

I do not plan on pulling over the shared (shared between hbm.xml and
annotations) Binder code from metamodel.  This will just be a focus on the
code that uses Jandex instead of HCANN and the "binding context" code I
already pulled over upstream as part of 5.0.

The reason I mention this is that I started some work on this this week.
For now I will work in my fork, but I do want to start thinking through the
target versions for incorporating these major redesigns we have going).

My plan for this stuff is to deprecate hbm.xml binding.  We have discussed
this before.  So along with this, I will pull over the unified orm.xml XSD
and we will start providing mapping support for that.  On metamodel, there
is some on-the-fly transformation code, but I think we will put that on the
back burner for now.  I see the next major rev of this work as ripping out
the hbm.xml binding code completely but still for a short time continuing
to support a subset of hbm.xml mapping via this on-the-fly
transformation[1].  And there will also be a (build time) transformation
tool based on that code.

[1] - The things that we cannot readily transform is a very small set of
things.  Really property-ref is the only thing that comes to mind.