[hibernate-dev] 6.0 planning

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Apr 1 07:32:28 EDT 2016

My initial goals and foreseeable decision-points in consolidating
hibernate-core and hibernate-entitymanager are:

   1. SessionFactory extends EntityManagerFactory
   (+ HibernateEntityManagerFactory methods)
   2. Session extends EntityManager
   3. Managing event-listener differences is the biggest thing we need to
   watch for.  Initially I plan on having both sets of listener impls
   available and picking one or the other based on whether we were bootstrap
   via JPA bootstrapping or not.  I'll have to see how that plays out.
   4. Speaking of bootstrapping... since SessionFactory extends
   EntityManagerFactory, the bootstrapping APIs introduced in 5.0 is capable
   of building an EntityManagerFactory.  I'd additionally like to develop an
   extended persistence.xml XSD, adding Hibernate specifics and allow JPA and
   Hibernate-native bootstrapping to read it.
   5. Another big question is exceptions.  JPA is very specific about the
   exceptions types that should be thrown in most cases.  Ideally we can blend
   these 2 exception type hierarchies, but I think there will be times we have
   to chose one or the other.