[hibernate-dev] Search: Lucene 6 is coming

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Apr 4 09:02:52 EDT 2016

The Apache Lucene team is voting on candidate releases for Lucene 6.0.0.

As usual we'll refrain from making API changes in a minor release, but
we should start to sometimes try building against Lucene 6 to make
sure to use APIs which will live longer, if there's choice.

The most notable change is an entirely new strategy to handle numeric
fields; including overhauled APIs.

I guess Hibernate Search 6 will probably want to align with Lucene 6
and Hibernate ORM 6; only problem I see with that is I hope people
won't get used to these all being nicely aligned as it's probably not
sustainable as a rule.. just luck so far (although we managed that
with all of the 3.x, 4.x, 5.x and now 6 series of Hibernate Search!).

Both Lucene 6 and ORM 6 will require Java 8.

I'll update the Search roadmap to reflect this aim, as I assume there
won't be concerns?

Thanks,