[hibernate-dev] Centralized access to "bootstrap only" resources

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Aug 30 14:20:36 EDT 2016

Any thoughts on the JpaIntegrator parts of the discussion?   Specifically
there are 2 main considerations:

   1. To change the Integrator#integrate contract - ideally, in retrospect,
   #integrate probably should have taken a "parameter object" to help insulate
   from these types of changes.  But I wanted to get y'alls thoughts on this
   especially since this one potentially causes upgrade problems in terms of
   applications or problems supporting multiple ORM versions in terms
   of integrations.
   2. The alternative I mentioned was to move the JpaIntegrator#integrate
   functionality in-line with the building of the SessionFactory.  This has
   some really nice benefits as discussed (like JPA callback support from
   native bootstrapping), but it has some challenges to handle as well mainly
   in terms of seamlessly combining the different Hibernate event listeners
   used to implement the native versus JPA behavior.  The simple JPA
   callback/listener case is pretty easy to support regardless.  The more
   difficult ones are event listeners that implement event handling
   differently () or the ones that cascade different actions depending on
   native/jpa bootstrapping ().  I think even the latter bucket may be easy to
   handle leveraging SessionFactoryOptions#isJpaBootstrap inside the
   listeners.  The former bucket is really the one I am more concerned with.
   So let's look at this as 2 distinct questions:
      1. Do we want to combine event listeners for native and JPA handling
      of events?
      2. Do we want to change JpaIntegrator#integrate signature to pass its
      context as a parameter object in order to facilitate this?  Or do we
      in-line the decisions/actions done in JpaIntegrator into SessionFactory
      init?