[hibernate-dev] Stored procedure improvement

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Feb 15 15:49:57 EST 2016

I think too that we need to keep the native/JPA split in mind.  We are much
more limited in how we might support this in JPA due to not being able to
change those contracts.  So in JPA that means either hints or an extension
contract.

Let's model the native API first since there we have the most flexibility.
Again, it really comes down to whether it makes sense to model the
distinction between "call return" and "call arguments" (arguments might
also retrieve values back).  Technically the existing
registerParameter/ParameterRegistration infrastructure could handle
modeling the idea of a "call return" assuming that:

   1. The parameters are always registered by position, not name
   2. The first parameter is the "call return"
   3. We are given some indication (hint, etc) that we need to be dealing
   with the `{?=call(...)}` syntax

Or we could instead model the "call return" as separate from "call
arguments", whether directly on ProcedureCall or on a separate contract
FunctionCall.  And in fact if we go the route of modeling this "call
return" separately, we can have a single-point trigger for the type of
executable call to make:

ProcedureCall call = session.createStoredProcedureCall( ... );
call.registerCallReturn( Integer.class );
call.registerParameter( ... );

In fact if we end up going this route, I'd suggest deprecating
`#registerParameter` in favor of `#registerCallArgument`.  Anyway, above
the call to `#registerCallReturn` tells us completely everything we need to
make a `{?=call(...)}` call instead of the `{call(...)}` form.

For JPA the only options really are a hint or an extension.  With the hint
approach, we pretty much have to follow the 3-point assumptions I set above
in terms of the JPA object.