[hibernate-dev] HHH-10307 - JTA dependency

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Jan 6 11:36:39 EST 2016

Vlad, the issue is not "someone doesn't want it".  In fact, for the most
part because of our decision to use the JTA contracts in our API "(not)
wanting it" is not really an option.

The issue here is the proliferation of JTA jars (maven coords).  We have
the Geronimo jars, the JBoss/WildFly jars, etc.  So the concerns is when
someone wants to use one of the jars other than the one we provide
transitively.  Yes, the result is the same: they still need to exclude the
one we provide transitively.

I have argued this for ages... I think this is a fundamental missing
construct in Maven dependency mappings: the ability to say "remap" all
references to a particular spec jar coord to another.  Gradle luckily
allows users to do that (granted somewhat verbosely), Maven simply does not.