[hibernate-dev] Quoting JPA specs

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 7 03:59:05 EST 2016

Hey,

> Hi,
>
> I know that any quoting from a copyrighted material needs written approval.

Where do you know that from?

Quoting copyrighted material is subject to "fair use" or similar rules
in many countries (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use).
Whether it's fair use or not depends on different factors, amongst
them the length of the quoted text. I'd be more than surprised if
quoting single sentences from a spec with several hundreds pages posed
a problem.

Most texts are protected by copyright automatically (provided they
satisfy some requirements regarding originality, length etc.), so if
there was such rule, quoting would effectively be impossible, which
clearly is not the case.

> The JPA specs are under copyright, so instead of quoting we should just
> provide the section and
> make a summary in our own wording.

I don't think that's needed, in addition it'd do more harm than good.
The specific wording makes a difference, summarizing it in your own
words is already an interpretation which may or may not alter the
exact semantics.

> Vlad

Cheers,

--Gunnar