[hibernate-dev] Hibernate ORM and Java 8 usage

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Wed Jan 13 11:32:05 EST 2016

Hi,

> slightly related and just in case you are not aware of this feature
> yet: You can include (parts of) actual source code files straight into
> AsciiDoc documents. We do that in the HV reference guide, e.g. at [1].
> That way you are 100% sure your examples actually compile (and pass
> tests) and you don't need to copy & paste them.

Damn you beat me to it, I just wanted to write the same thing :-)
To me, this is the best approach. By using actual test which run as part of
the documentation build you know that your examples really work and via
the include syntax you can include the bits and pieces you need into the docs.
Obviously more effort, but I think worth it. IMO examples in the docs should be
as much as possible sourced from actual running tests.

BTW, this is pretty much what Christian always wanted as part of
this docbook tooling. Not sure whether he ever completed his tool to achieve this.

--Hardy