[hibernate-dev] HHH-6726 LONG and LONG RAW column types in Oracle

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Jan 27 13:12:26 EST 2016

Andrea and I discussed on IRC and since we were the only 2 involved and
both agreed, that constitutes a quorum! :)

So I am going to override Oracle12cDialect#contributeTypes (implicit Type
determination) such that:

   - recognize byte[] as MaterializedBlobType (Types#BLOB) rather than
   BinaryType (Types#LONGVARBINARY)
   - recognize Byte[] as WrappedMaterializedBlobType (Types#BLOB) rather
   than WrapperBinaryType (Types#LONGVARBINARY).

 I am a very leery about the VARCHAR, LONG, CLOB side of it mainly because
the approach to access data from a VARCHAR and a CLOB are so very different
and we'd have to account for that at some point based on size, etc.

Ultimately what I'd love to see is to expand the distinction
between SqlTypeDescriptor and
JavaTypeDescriptor and to piece them together (along with
AttributeConverter, MutabilityPLan, etc) into a BasicType "just in time".
The reason I bring this up in that this question is really a discussion
about the resolution for a SqlTypeDescriptor given just a
JavaTypeDescriptor.  That's fundamentally what BasicTypeRegistry is about.
But ultimately, breaking that down further and instead asking for the
SqlTypeDescriptor given a JavaTypeDescriptor is more flexible.  Especially
when you start to consider that that question can much more easily
incorporate size information and other "contextual" data.

Anyway, that's long term... For now I will override #contributeTypes
in Oracle12cDialect
to provide the new registrations mentioned above.  I will do this on master
(5.1).  IMO we should also consider backporting this, but wanted to get
everyone's (anyone) thoughts first.  Opinions?