[hibernate-dev] JDBC warnings performance matter

Vlad Mihalcea mihalcea.vlad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 00:25:49 EST 2016

Hi,

The guys at Plumbr wrote an article about how MySQL JDBC warnings are
handled by Hibernate:

https://plumbr.eu/blog/io/how-we-accidentally-doubled-our-jdbc-traffic-with-hibernate

I remember seeing this issue on StackOverflow too and I was curious if you
want to tweak it a little bit.
I also agree that relying on the log levels to prevent fetching warnings
might come as a surprise to many users and we should document this behavior.

We could also have a hibernate.jdbc.log.warnings boolean property to
control whether we want to log those warnings or not.
This way, if users set the logger level to WARN, they will see the logs
generated by the framework stack and the JDBC warnings will be logged only
if this configuration property is true.

What do you think?

Vlad