[hibernate-dev] Dropping "Serializable" requirement for IDs ?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Jul 5 12:57:22 EDT 2016

Hi all,
today creating a unit test I was greeted by this "old friend":

> org.hibernate.MappingException: Composite-id class must implement Serializable:

shall we get rid of this requirement?

It's just an inconvenience for end users to have to remember this
marker, as far as I know we don't really need this anymore.

I realise some code might still be needing this, but we probably can
do better by not actually serializing it with the default platform
serializer?

Just an idea for a potential 6.0 improvement..

Thanks,