[hibernate-dev] People can't find our docs

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 18:50:51 EDT 2016

Hi Sanne,

Thanks for your feedback. I was pretty sure I hadn't all the history!

Getting Google to prioritize our latest doc is probably a long time goal.

I played a bit with jQuery to suggest to the user to go to the latest
stable. Note that I only took into consideration the page for the time
being and didn't consider the anchor but it should be easy to add it
if we think it's worth it (it's a lot more work on the json descriptor
though).

The following command for each version is all that is needed:
sed -i 's@</body>@<script
src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.1.0.min.js"
integrity="sha256-cCueBR6CsyA4/9szpPfrX3s49M9vUU5BgtiJj06wt/s="
crossorigin="anonymous"></script><script
src="/hibernate/search/outdated-version.js"></script></body>@' *.html
(or a find -exec to do it on all the versions at once)

I attached the global json descriptor and the js file. Both should be
added to /hibernate/search/. Note that I only did the work for version
4.5 in the json descriptor. The work for other versions would mostly
be a copy/paste.

I also attached a screenshot of how it looks like. Nothing fancy but
we can do whatever we want.

Note that I only targeted the multi page HTML output as it was the
most interesting to prototype.

When we release a new version, we would have to update the descriptor file.

Comments?

--
Guillaume